George Leveson-Gower, a British Member of Parliament, married Elizabeth, Countess of Sutherland, in 1785. The land they subsequently controlled was amongst the largest estates in Europe. A statue to his memory was erected in 1830 on the summit Beinn a’ Bhragaidh, standing 30 metres tall and overlooking the estate, Dunrobin Castle and the north-eastern coast… (Read More)
The Commando Memorial stands above Spean Bridge in the Scottish Highlands, with a commanding view across the former Commando Training Depot to the Nevis range of mountains. The memorial stands for the British Commando units who trained here in the Second World War, and was unveiled by the Queen Mother in 1952.
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, or to many Glaswegians “The Rottenrow”, was founded in 1834 and demolished in 2001. The Victorian building had fallen into disrepair by the time of its demolition and was deemed inadequate for modern requirements. A replacement for The Rottenrow was built at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the original building was purchased… (Read More)
Hiking our first Scottish “Munro”: Ben Wyvis in the district of Ross & Cromarty.
Archie Meadies, 2001-2017.
The only remains of antiquity that stood in this parish, were last year removed. In the place of Delny, once a principal seat of the Earls of Ross, stood the ruins of a Romish chapel on a pleasant bank surrounded by graves. This spot has been deserted as a burying place for many years; and… (Read More)
The small town of Gretna Green, which lies alongside the M6/A74M on the border between Scotland and England, is one of the most popular wedding destinations in the world.
Invergordon, a small town on the Cromarty Firth in the north of Scotland, which relies heavily on the local oil industry.
A winter visit to the large beach at Brora, in the far north of Scotland.