Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, or to many Glaswegians “The Rottenrow”, was founded in 1834 and demolished in 2001. The Victorian building had fallen into disrepair by the time of its demolition and was deemed inadequate for modern requirements.
A replacement for The Rottenrow was built at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the original building was purchased by the University of Strathclyde and subsequently demolished. The exit of the hospital (pictured), where many Glaswegians first entered the world, was retained.
The site has since been redeveloped into a public park, with George Wyllie’s “Monument to Maternity”, a sculpture depicting a giant metal nappy pin, as the centre piece of the park. The park was initially opened in 2004.
Original text and information by The Scotsman.