Bathing in public was forbidden to the women of Zurich until 1837. Once the ban had been lifted, the city constructed a bathing house on the river Limmat, alongside the Stadthausquai next to the city hall. Formally the Frauenbad am Stadthausquai, it is colloquially known as the Frauenbadi.
In the absence of running water in many houses in the city, the bathing house was originally intended as a place for women to carry out their ablutions. The building was renewed in 1888: the new wooden construction with four cupolaed towers is of Jugendstil design and remains to this day, floating on the river and anchored to the quayside.
A small kiosk was added to the interior of the bathing house at the end of the Second World War, offering snacks to bathers. In 1997, an evening bar service was started, to which men are also allowed access. The Barfussbar (Bare Foot Bar) plays host to cultural events, and the bathing house may be rented for private events.
Leave a Reply