Menu

Permanent Tourist

A personal website by Mark Howells-Mead

Untertorbrücke, Bern

The Untertorbrücke is one of the oldest bridges in Bern, crossing the river Aare. The first bridge was built of wood on this site and opened in 1256, and was replaced in 1489 by a more substantial, fortified stone version. It was Bern’s only bridge until 1834 and has stood in its current form since the 18th century, when the fortifications were removed and the sandstone parapets replaced with metal railings.