Menu

Permanent Tourist

A personal website by Mark Howells-Mead

Molo di San Vincenzo

The lighthouse on Molo di San Vincenzo (the main breakwater of the harbour) in Naples was built in 1950 but taken out of service just 29 years later, being superseded by an electric alternative on a lattice structure nearby.

The statue in front of the tower is of San Gennaro (original name Januarius), the patron saint of Naples, who became Bishop of the city in the 3rd century AD. His remains are buried in a specially commissioned crypt beneath Naples Cathedral, whilst this statue waves a blessing to ferries and ships passing into and out of the port.