St. Dunstan-in-the-East was a church in the City of London, built in 1100, extended in the fourteenth century and repaired just over thirty years before the Great Fire of London, after which a large steeple to a design by Sir Christopher Wren was added.
Despite largely surviving the fire, the structure was found to be unsafe in the nineteenth century, as the unusually heavy roof had pushed the walls out of alignment. The main body of the structure was demolished and replaced, leaving the tower and spire as the only remaining evidence of the former building.
The newer church building was severely damaged during The Blitz in 1941, although the tower and spire once again survived. The site remained as a ruin until 1971, when it was turned into a public garden. It remains as a place of quiet peace amongst the business and modernity of this area of London to this day.
Leave a Reply