Ponte Vecchio, Florence

This medieval bridge in Florence, rebuilt in 1345, is the only one remaining which is lined on both sides by shops. Originally hosting butcher shops, the bridge has been populated by jewellers and goldsmiths since the late sixteenth century. The bridge is the only one in Florence to have survived the Second World War: on the specific instructions of Hitler, access to the bridge was blocked by having the buildings at each end demolished across the street.

River Arno, Florence

Ponte Vecchio, Florence