Menu

Permanent Tourist

A personal website by Mark Howells-Mead

Kirchenfeldbrücke, Bern, Switzerland

First opened in September 1883 after a 21 month building phase, the metal bridge spanned the gorge between the upper end of the original old city of Bern at the Casino and the area of Kirchenfeld to the south. The 41 metre high bridge was built along with 5 kilometres of city roadways by the English “Bern Land Company”, according to plans laid down by Swiss company G. Ott & Co. (who were responsible in 1865 for the demolition of the massive and impressive Christoffelturm). The concrete pillars were first added to the bridge as reinforcements in 1913 after the implementation of a new tram system and an increase in levels of transport proved that the metal supports were “too elastic”.