"The same Mac-William’s daughter, who had not long left her mother’s womb, innocent as she was, was put to death, in the burgh of Forfar, in view of the market place, after a proclamation by the public crier. Her head was struck against the column of the market cross, and her brains dashed out." [Source]
The cross in question was originally situated in front of the old tollbooth and was the centre of burgh life. This was located where the High Street and Castle Street now intersect. Here the markets took place, proclamations were made, deaths were pronounced, armies mustered for war and criminals punished. When the new Town House was built in 1785 the Cross was considered to be a nuisance to traffic and was removed to a site on top of Castle Hill.